Responsible Business from East to West 2023 – Study Tour to Japan
Business creates, and sometimes destroys, values for customers, suppliers, employees, and society. Different from the traditional profit maximisation approach, a new model of business has been emerging – a model in which a business also pays attention to the key stakeholders and society. Popular terms like Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), Creating Shared Value (CSV), Responsible Business and Business Sustainability, to name a few, are all built on this new model.
The Workshop “Responsible Business – from East to West” brings together experts from Taiwan, Japan, UK, and Poland to discuss what this new business model means, and how it benefits businesses themselves and the world at the same time.
The Workshop consists of 5 online, interactive and discussion-based classes co-led by Dr. Fred Ku and local and overseas experts. We will use case method, and discuss cases from both developed and developing economies, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Indonesia, and Poland.
Through this Workshop, you will:
- Have a deep understanding on different social issues faced by different economies
- Learn how businesses can create financial and social values by helping resolve these issues
- Act as a business leader to balance doing good and doing well
The Workshop is jointly offered by CUHK Business School and National Chiayi University. Students will have the valuable opportunities to interact with peers from Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Students will have the opportunity to join a study tour to Nagoya, Japan in mid/late May to gain invaluable insights into the country’s cutting-edge approach to sustainable business practices and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) initiatives. Through this study tour, you can gain better understanding of how businesses can lead the charge in creating a better future for all.
Schedule* and Activities:
- 6 class meetings (~120 minutes each)
- Study tour
|Class Meeting 1 |
Responsible Business and ESG
|Date: 21 Feb 2023, Tue, 4:30 – 6:30pm HKT |
Professor Chi-Leung CHU, National Chiayi University, Taiwan
Dr. Fred KU, CUHK Business School
|Class Meeting 2|
Leader’s Vision and Purpose Driven Company – Case Study of Suzuhiro
How to Lead a Sustainability Transformation of a Traditional Business?
|Date: 7 Mar 2023, Tue, 4:30 – 6:30pm HKT|
Professor Takehiko ITO
Nagoya University of Commerce and Business, Japan
|Class Meeting 3|
The Dynamics of Sustainability Risks in the Indonesian Coffee Supply Chains
|Date: 14 Mar 2023, Tue, 4:30 – 6:30pm HKT|
Professor Benny TJAHJONO
Coventry University, United Kingdom
|Class Meeting 4|
Can Bike Become a Remedy for Homelessness? – Cracow’s Case Study of Social Enterprise “Living Workshop”
How the Business Model Canvas Help Solve the Problem of Social Exclusion?
|Date: 21 Mar 2023, Tue, 4:30 – 6:30pm HKT|
Professor Iwona Lupa-Wójcik, Professor Dorota Murzyn, Professor Marta Czyżewska, Professor Wojciech Maciejewski
Pedagogical University of Krakow, Poland
|Class Meeting 5|
ESG Overview in Hong Kong
|Date: 25 Apr 2023, Tue, 4:30 – 6:30pm HKT|
Ms Tracy ZHOU, Hong Kong Productivity Council
|Class Meeting 6|
ESG Consulting in Hong Kong
|Date: 2 May 2023, Tue, 4:30 – 6:30pm HKT|
Ms Tracy ZHOU, Hong Kong Productivity Council
|Study Tour in Nagoya, Japan|
|Date: 15 – 19 May 2023 (Tentative)|
* The class schedule and discussion topics are tentative and subject to change.
- This Workshop corresponds to a two-credit study tour to be offered during the summer semester of academic year 2022/23.
- National Chiayi University, Taiwan
- Offering EMBA and DBA programs to business executives, the Department of Business Administration of NCYU engages in practical business research and has close relationship with industry practitioners.
- Nagoya University of Commerce and Business, Japan
- Ranked no. 1 in Japan by Financial Times (FT), NUCB Business School offers the best EMBA programs in Japan (QS EMBA 2019). NUCB is known for the use of case method and its internationalized student body, and its close connection with business enterprises in Japan.
- Coventry University, United Kingdom
- Founded by experts in business sustainability, the Centre for Business in Society (CBiS), Coventry University, focuses on organizational practices and the management of corporate responsibilities.
- Pedagogical University of Krakow, Poland
- Founded in 1946, UP is the largest and one of the oldest universities in Poland. A team of social entrepreneurship expert from “Innovative Social Entrepreneurship with Young Engagement” (INN@SE) that aims to promote an EU culture of SE among society.